Right To Buy
- 01743 210209
You may have the right to buy your home from Shropshire Council at a discount, under the Right to Buy scheme. Your right to buy your Shropshire Council owned home is not affected by the fact that these homes are now being managed by Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible to buy your council home if you are a secure tenant and your house or flat is your only, or principle home, is self contained and you have been a council, housing association or armed forces tenant for a total of at least 3 years.
Follow this link to the Government's Right To Buy website to check if you are eligible.
Purchase price and discount
The property is valued at its open market value, less the value of any improvements you have undertaken.
How much discount you get depends on:
- The number of years you have been a tenant
- Whether the property is a house or flat
- Where you live
The maximum Right to Buy discount limit is currently to £78,600.
- For houses you get a 35% discount if you have been a tenant for 3-5 years, increasing by 1% for every extra year to a maximum of 70%.
- For flats you get 50% discount if you have been a tenant for 3-5 years, increasing by 2% for every extra year you have been a tenant to a maximum of 70%.
Want to know more?
- Follow this link to the Department for Communities and Local Government website
- Follow this link to the Right to Buy guide
How to apply
You will also need to complete our Anti Money Laundering form
Both of these forms will require 2 forms of ID for each applicant -– e.g. passport, photo driving licence, birth certificate and/or utility bill to include name and address from the last 6 months.
or you can email your completed forms to; email@example.com send via post to;Angela Douglas, Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing Ltd,The Spruce Building,Sitka Drive,Shrewsbury Business Park,ShrewsburySY2 6LG
Please note: we are not able to give you a valuation of the property, or the value of the discount available, until you have submitted the RTB 1 form and we have checked the information to confirm you have the right to buy.
You have the right to withdraw at any point and this will not affect your right to buy in the future.
Key note: If you successfully purchase your council property and have had Crystal home contents insurance you will need to cancel this and take out your own home insurance as Crystals insurance is tenant insurance only and will be void when you own your home.