On 1 April 2013, Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing Ltd took responsibility for the management of all 4200 Shropshire Council owned homes in the Oswestry & Bridgnorth areas.
We are an Arms Length Management Organisation (or ALMO for short.) We are a 'limited company' which means we have independence from the Council to make our own decisions. Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing manages your tenancy, home and neighbourhood - collecting rent, ordering repairs and making improvements to all housing. But Shropshire Council still owns all the homes.
Shropshire Council pays Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing a fee to manage the housing.
We have a 'management agreement' with Shropshire Council (this is the legal document that sets out in detail the 'who-does-what' relationship between the two organisations). It includes arrangements for checking how we perform to make sure we keep to high standards.
Here's how the major areas of housing responsibility are divided
Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing's responsibilities:
- Deciding how to spend improvement money.
- Employing contractors.
- Ordering repairs.
- Carrying out repairs or employing contractors to carry out repairs.
- Collecting rent, dealing with rent arrears and giving or referring for debt and budget advice.
- Dealing with empty homes.
- Dealing with Right to Buy applications.
- Finding new tenants. This includes using Shropshire Homepoint.
- Consulting, informing and involving tenants in the housing service and improvements plans.
- Making sure people keep to tenancy agreements, and taking action if they don't.
- Managing local estates, providing sheltered housing.
- Looking after the environment - dealing with untidy gardens, garages, maintaining land around homes and monitoring street cleaning.
- Dealing with anti-social behaviour and neighbour nuisance incidents.
- Providing community support services for vulnerable people or referring people to those services.
Shropshire Council's responsibilities:
- Overall housing strategy - wider policy issues like promoting sustainable communities.
- Setting the level of rent.
- Dealing with claims for housing benefit and council tax benefit.
- Setting the overall rehousing policy for all of Shropshire.
- Agreeing Shropshire Towns and Rural Housing's minimum service standards and monitoring its performance.
- Providing a service for homeless people.
And of course Shropshire Council still delivers all its other traditional (non-housing) services - education, leisure facilities, social services, street cleaning, bins, and so on.
STAR Housing is managed by a board of directors made up of tenants, independents, council representatives and a staff member. See links below to our Senior Management Team and The Board.
We have 2 local customer facing offices and a central base in Shrewsbury:
Oswestry LibraryCastle ViewOswestryShropshireSY11 1 JR
Bridgnorth LibraryListley StBridgnorthWV16 4AW
The Spruce BuildingSitka DriveShrewsbury Business ParkShrewsburySY2 6LG
Relevant Documents and Links:
Business Plan 2016-2019 (Full Version)
Registered Office: The Spruce Building, Sitka Drive, Shrewsbury Business Park, Shrewsbury SY2 6LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 8289137, a company limited by guarantee.
VAT Reg No: 156 8202 08