Landlord Safety Checks
- 01743 210214
STAR Housing is responsible for carrying out all compulsory safety checks in your home. You are responsible for allowing us entry to your home to carry these out.
We reserve the right to charge you for any pre-arranged missed appointments.
All appointments for safety checks will be sent by letter and failure to allow access may result in you being charged for missed appointments and/or being evicted.
All heating appliances must be checked annually by a qualified engineer. Liberty Gas are currently appointed as our heating servicing and repairs contractor. We provide this service free of charge. We currently aim to service all heating appliances every 10 months this includes:
- gas boilers
- gas fires
- oil boilers
- storage heaters
- electric boilers
- solid fuel back boilers
- open fires
- Air Source Heat Pumps
We will service tenants own heating appliances such as gas fires, but it is your responsibility to arrange and pay for any repairs required, following the service.
Electric safety checks
We aim to undertake a periodic electric test of the electrics in our council homes every five years. Dodd Group (Midlands Ltd) currently carry out these checks on our behalf.
What does the periodic electric test involve?
- This can take up to two hours to complete and involves checking the electrical sockets, switches, light fittings and the fuse board.
- Test instruments are used to check the electrical safety of the concealed wiring.
- The electrician will need access to all rooms within your home to test all electrical fittings.
- Dodds will pass any recommendations back to us following this test, and where necessary we will arrange for works to be carried out.
Asbestos surveys and removals
All of the homes we manage require an up to date asbestos survey which has been completed by Shield On-site Services. However we still need to manage the asbestos that was found so STAR Housing now have a re-inspection program in place.
What does an asbestos re-inspection survey involve?
- The re-inspection survey is used for STAR to manage the asbestos in your home to make sure it’s in a safe and sealed condition. The re-inspection survey looks at all asbestos previously identified and updates the condition and photos of the asbestos so STAR can program in any remedial works or removals as needed.
- The re-inspection in most cases will be non intrusive as samples should not need to be taken again. However if anything is found which was not identified on the original survey a sample may need to be taken.
- If there is a sample to be taken to identify if the material contains asbestos this will be done to minimise any damage as best as possible. Minimal to no damage should be caused to your surface coverings.
- The length of the survey depends on the number of asbestos items which need to be looked at but should not take more than 1 hour in most cases.
What happens if they find asbestos in my home?
- In most instances this is easily manageable but on occasion we may have to arrange removals or remedial works.
- In the unlikely event that we have to remove asbestos materials from your home, we will appoint a licensed contractor to carry out the removal works and you will be notified by letter and given an appointment date.
- While removals are taking place you may be asked to vacate certain rooms, this information will be included in the appointment letter.
I would like to see a copy of the asbestos survey for my house – how do I get one?
Please contact the planned maintenance team.