Making Changes To Your Home
- 0333 3212 200
You may wish to carry out improvements to your Council owned home, such as:
- fitting a new bathroom suite
- replacing kitchen units
- installing a satellite dish or aerial
- fitting laminate flooring
- fitting a shower
- replacing doors
- changing electrical fittings such as sockets or light fittings
You must ask for permission before you carry out any work.
How do I apply for permission to make changes to my home?
Complete the attached property alteration form and return to your local housing office.
Things to consider:
- If you are a tenant who has a flexible tenancy you do not have the statutory right to carry out improvements or to claim compensation for improvements.
- We may need to arrange for an inspector to visit before and after the work is complete
- We may also arrange for you to have an asbestos survey carried out on your home
- We will request copies of the relevant qualifications for those carrying out the work
- We will also require certification to show the work meets industry standard
- Proof that correct permissions and checks from the Local Authority have been obtained (planning permission)
- You may be requested to restore any alteration back to its original state when leaving this property
For example, if you are granted permission to fit a shower we would ask for a copy of the NICEIC minor works certificate.
We will only refuse permission if the work would cause us expense, make it difficult to let the property in the future, the work does not meet relevant regulations or give rise to complaints from other residents.
We will then write to you, to advise on the outcome of our decision and any requirements you may have to meet.