Save water and save money
Saving water can be an easy process. The smallest changes can make a huge difference overtime. Remember, around 25% of your energy bill comes from heating water - so being efficient can help cut down on bills too!
If you haven’t got a water meter already, it might be worth considering having one installed. You don’t need permission from us, just contact your water supplier.
Here are some useful tips for saving water from Water UK:
- Using a lid on a saucepan cuts down the amount of water lost in steam, so you needn’t use as much. Plus, your food will cook quicker!
- Try washing dark clothes in a colder wash. This saves both water and energy – and it will help keep your clothes their colour.
- Don’t over-do it! Only boiling the water needed in kettles could save the UK more than £1 million a week.
- Fill it up! If you have a dishwasher, try to fill it up before putting it on – wasted space is wasted water. Most dishwashers have efficiency modes, use yours if you can!
- Use a bucket of water, or a trigger-release hose to improve water efficiency when you’re washing your car.
- Watering your garden in the morning or evening, when temperatures are low, can reduce evaporation levels considerably.
- Can’t be convinced by a shower? By running your bath just one inch shallower, you can save around 5 litres of water.
- Put a large bottle or jug into the fridge to ensure cold water is available instantly. Waiting for taps to run cold can waste more than 10 litres every day.
- Reuse is a great way to save both water and money. If you wash up in a bowl, you can use the water for houseplants.